Invisalign: the nearly invisible way to straighten your teeth
Once you’ve reached adulthood, the last thing you want to do is go back to feeling like a teenager. If you want straight teeth, you’ll be delighted to know that traditional metal braces are not the only option available. Invisalign is a faster method for straightening teeth, and the work is done completely under the radar. The nearly invisible aligners allow you to go about your busy life without orthodontic treatment getting in the way.
Dr. Mitul Patel is a Certified Invisalign Provider and has completed specialized instructional sessions in order to gain the qualifications necessary to fit patients with Invisalign in North Georgia. He is certified to develop customized treatment plans for all patients who qualify to wear Invisalign. Hundreds of new smiles and happy patients later, Dr. Patel is the experienced Suwanee dentist you want for your Invisalign treatment.
Understanding the Invisalign treatment process
Invisalign is a bit of a numbers game. Here’s why:
- 20-22 hours: The amount of time aligners must be worn every day. When you’re not eating a meal or brushing your teeth, your aligners should be in your mouth.
- 2 weeks: The average time each set of aligners is worn before switching to a new set. Aligners are designed to move certain teeth at certain times, not all teeth at once. This method sets Invisalign apart from metal braces, making it a more consistent and gentle treatment.
- 9 to 15 months: The average length of time for total Invisalign treatment (traditional braces can take double this amount of time). Each patient’s length of treatment will vary by how quickly your teeth shift and, of course, your dedication to your customized treatment plan.
- 18 to 30 aligners: The number of aligners you will wear throughout the course of your treatment. This number will vary depending on the severity of your misalignment, but the number will be determined at the start of your treatment.
- 6 weeks: How often you will visit your certified Invisalign provider in North Georgia. At these visits, your progress will be evaluated and you will receive new sets of aligners to take home.
- 4 to 6 times: The maximum number of times you should remove your aligners every day – for meals and for brushing and flossing in the morning and evening
Do’s and Don’ts of living with Invisalign
Invisalign is a relatively low-maintenance orthodontic solution. Yes, you’re living with the treatment for the majority of every day, but you get used to the aligners. Invisalign simply becomes a way of life.
Here are some of the dos and don’ts of making Invisalign work for you, whether you’re at home, work, school, or socializing:
- Don’t eat or drink while wearing Invisalign. Water is the only beverage you should have while wearing Invisalign. Any other drink could easily stain the aligners and ruin the point of Invisalign being nearly invisible (this means your all-day coffee or soda sipping must stop). Eating while wearing Invisalign could crack or otherwise damage the clear aligners
- Do brush your Invisalign aligners. Cleaning your aligners is necessary, but don’t use toothpaste (especially abrasive whitening toothpaste). Choose a soft-bristle brush and buff the aligners clean at least once a day
- Do soak your clear aligners. Your Suwanee Invisalign provider will recommend a cleaning solution to keep your Invisalign aligners fresh, sanitized, and clear. Sometimes a denture cleaner is an option, as well as Invisalign cleaning crystals
- Don’t neglect to brush and floss your teeth. Invisalign fits snugly against the teeth. It’s critical to maintain good oral hygiene in order to prevent bacteria and plaque from getting trapped between aligners and enamel. Without proper care for teeth and aligners, decay could easily develop
- Do rinse aligners. Every time you take Invisalign aligners out of your mouth or prepare to put them back in your mouth, you should rinse the aligners first. This quick and simple move washes away any dried saliva that has gathered on the mouthpiece, and also helps ward against bacteria build-up
Problems that Invisalign is able to correct
Many patients have the option of Invisalign braces or traditional metal braces. For very severe oral health complications, other treatments may be necessary. But there is no harm in asking your Hello Family Dental friendly dentist if you are a candidate for Invisalign.
Invisalign is able to correct alignment problems such as:
- Underbite: When the lower teeth overlap the upper teeth, jaw pain and TMJ can result
- Overbite: It also causes jaw pain and, potentially, TMJ. An overbite is an overlap between the upper and lower teeth
- Crossbite: An uneven bite can lead to uneven wear on the enamel, bone erosion, and even gum disease
- Overcrowding: If a mouth is too full of teeth, overcrowding will occur. This problem can lead to gum disease and tooth decay because it is too difficult to clean in between the teeth
- Gaps: Large gaps can be the result of abnormal jaw growth or missing teeth
The many benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign is a modern innovation in cosmetic dentistry and orthodontics. Most wearers would never turn back or choose another option for their alignment. Invisalign is able to seamlessly fit into your lifestyle without interrupting a conversation by drawing attention (like traditional braces might).
The benefits are numerous:
- Eat whatever you want, whenever you want. Ask any wearer of traditional braces and their biggest complaint about their metal mouth is likely the inability to eat their favorite foods. With Invisalign, you simply remove the aligners when you’re ready to chow down.
- Lose weight. While your diet doesn’t have to change because of your orthodontic treatment, your diet likely will. You’ll ideally become dedicated to your treatment so that you think twice about removing your aligners for a small snack or an unnecessary indulgence. Don’t be surprised if you drop a few pounds at the same time you’re aligning your smile.
- Enjoy improved self-confidence. No one wants to show off their brace-face to their peer group, coworkers, or even family. No one wants to be noticed because of what’s on their teeth. Because Invisalign is virtually invisible, you can straighten your teeth without dinging your self-esteem. In fact, you’re likely to feel more confident as your treatment progresses because you’ll see your teeth shifting into a new, attractive position.
- Brush and floss normally. Traditional metal braces require some special cleaning tools and meticulous work to get in between all the brackets and wires for a thorough cleaning. Invisalign doesn’t require any such effort.
The benefits don’t end there. You will have better oral health when your teeth are finally in alignment, thanks to Invisalign. And in case you didn’t know, straight teeth minimize the stress on your digestive system by breaking your food down better. Even your speech will be clearer after Invisalign treatment because your tongue won’t have to work so hard to form words with your teeth and palette.
And, best of all, no one ever needs to know you’re wearing braces unless you tell them.
Are you a good candidate for Invisalign?
A determination to succeed is one of the most important attributes of a successful Invisalign patient. If you really want that aligned smile, you will be willing to adjust your habits to fit your customized treatment plan. But your mouth has to cooperate as well. A thorough evaluation is necessary in order to determine if your oral health problems can be conquered with Invisalign.
Contact Hello Family Dental to schedule a consultation with Dr. Mitul Patel, Certified Invisalign Provider for North Georgia, to find out if you’re a candidate for Invisalign.